COMMUNITY & WORKERS OF JAMAICA CO-OPERATIVE CREDIT UNION LIMITED
C&WJ Co-operative Credit Union first opened its door in April 1961, one year before Jamaica gained independence from Britain in August 1962. The company at that time was named JTC Employees Co-operative Credit Union which was bonded to serve the employees of the then Jamaica Telephone Company Limited (JTC).
In 1995 Jamaica Telephone Company (JTC) was renamed Telecommunications of Jamaica (TOJ) and the credit union was also renamed TOJ Employees Co-operative Credit Union. There was another name change to C&WJ Employees Co-operative Credit Union in 1999 when TOJ was renamed Cable & Wireless of Jamaica.
In order to serve the wider community and to extend reach to having members outside of the telecommunications industry, the credit union’s name was changed to Communities & Other Workers of Jamaica Co-operative Credit Union in 2006, and in 2014, it was changed to Communities & Workers of Jamaica Co-operative Credit Union Ltd.
C&WJ is a member of the Jamaica Co-operative Credit Union League, the trade association representing the interests of Credit Unions in Jamaica.
Click the links below to learn more about this amazing Credit union and its services:
Who Can Become a Member?
- Employees and ex-employees of a company that subscribes to telecommunication services
- Employees and Ex-Employees of FLOW, LIME, Cable and Wireless Jamaica Limited, JAMINTEL, Jamaica Telephone Company Limited, Telecommunications of Jamaica Limited
- Employees and ex-employees from the above companies
- Contractors and sub-contractors of FLOW
- Employees of members
- Past or present members’ relatives: Mothers and Fathers Spouses Brothers and Sisters Children and Grandchildren Uncles & Aunts, Nieces & Nephews
- Any person engaged in the provision of Telecommunication services in Jamaica including the regulators ∙ Employees of other registered co-operatives (e.g. Credit Unions)
- Members, and persons eligible to be members of the credit unions that have merged with C&WJ Co-operative Credit Union (Marine and Allied Industries Co-operative and Clarendon Co-operative Credit Union).